When to use Urgent Care vs. Emergency Room
Every year, thousands of patients rush to the emergency room when they experience a minor medical emergency. Most of the time, these minor emergencies can be treated at an urgent care center, which require considerably shorter waiting times. At AFC Urgent Care Woodruff Road, our physicians aim to get patients into the clinic as soon as they walk in, rather than having them sit for hours in a waiting room.
Here are 10 of the most common reasons that patients resort to an emergency room in their time of medical need:
- Chest Pain: This symptom usually occurs if a patient is experienced cardiac attacks, but can sometimes lead to other diagnosis. Patients with chest pain should go to a hospital immediately for medical care.
- Skin Infections: Symptoms of skin infections can include red, irritable skin and bumps.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Minor cuts can be treated at our walk-in urgent care clinic on Woodruff Road. Anything more serious should be dealt with at a hospital center.
- Fractures and Sprains: Fractures and sprains can be caused by simple yard work or playing sports, and should be treated as soon as possible.
- Respiratory Issues: Bronchitis and other respiratory illnesses can cause painful coughing that requires medical attention.
- Toothaches: Although toothaches should be attended to by a dentist, some patients resort to emergency rooms and urgent care centers for help.
- Foreign Objects: When accidents involving foreign objects intruding into body crevices occur, patients should be helped before the situation worsens.
- Back Pain: Back pain can be an indicator of serious disease, so a physician should be consulted if a patient is feeling significant pain.
- Headaches: When painful headaches and migraines happen, medication can be prescribed by a doctor.
- Abdominal Pain: Stomach pain can be a minor health issue or serious, depending on the duration of pain.
If you or a loved one is experiencing any non-life threatening injury or illness, please walk into AFC Urgent Care Woodruff Road for fast and friendly urgent care. We look forward to helping you feel better soon!
Formerly AFC Doctors Express